Thursday, February 11, 2010

Latin grammar survives in the English language

Here's another one of those wacky videos. I really am intrigued about who's behind them and why they only feature young women with shiny, white teeth. Maybe they're a tribe of Amazon women and they've killed all the men in their territory! (Don't mind me, I've just had some very pure, organic chocolate and I think it's going to my head).
Anyway, I thought this one would be worthwhile, first, because the word in question is a false friend, and secondly, because it is quite commonly used in English, particularly American English. It is also a living example of how one feature of Latin grammar has survived in the English language to this day.
The word is often used in the context of "alumni associations," whose job it is to badger alumni and ask them for contributions. Private universities in the US survive on the donations of alumni.
Also popular in American culture are "alumni reunions," in which alumni (which if you haven't guessed by now, means former students - not current students) get together to meet their old classmates and compare their jobs, houses, etc. (sorry, that's the cynical side of me coming out again). Anyway, have fun with the video. I bet you'll never forget the word alumni after watching it!

1 comment: