As a follow-up to the "Doomsday Vault" activity, I thought we could discuss the issue of genetically modified seeds. This little interview with an American farmer is a good starting point, I think. Listen to the short video, and answer the following questions in your notepads:
- Why is Terry Waznek so pleased about "biotech" and what is meant by the term?
- According to Waznek, are farmers concerned with the environment? Why?
- What verbs are used to describe what farmers do with the land?
- Waznek says he would like to rephrase the question, "What are the risks of biotechnology?" How would he like to rephrase it?
- Waznek compares fighting biotech to what?
And now your opinion:
- Do you think genetically modified seeds are good for farmers and consumers?