Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs"

Here's something interesting to discuss. Renowned psychologist Abraham Maslow designed a hierarchy of needs, based on a pyramid structure. At the top of the pyramid is "self-actualization" (we can discuss what that means in class), which can only be attained if all the other needs below it are satisfied beforehand.
Questions:
1. Have you heard of this before?
2. Do you agree with the order of the needs in the hierarchy?
3. Can you think of an individual who has reached the top of the pyramid? (What does "self-actualization" look like?)
4. What is homeostasis (at the base of the pyramid)?

2 comments:

  1. 1. Yes, I studiede this at school
    2. Yes, It's logical that first you need to satisfy the physiological needs
    3. It's really difficult and I think that although you reach some of the things of the top you are always satisfying the needs above
    4. I've searched for it in word reference but I'm not gonna tell anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I have studied this hierarchy this year at University in order to know how a consumer will react to a slogan for a product.
    2) Of course. I mean, if you don't cover for example your need of food or breath how are you supposed to cover the other needs?You will probably be dead.
    3) I think as Diana. It's too difficult but I think we can all cover in some actions some of the needs above.
    4) I have searched it too.

    ReplyDelete