Wednesday, March 10, 2010

No need for lie detector machines

Wanna know how to catch a liar? Here's a video that might help:
You will see a series of steps with flash headings for each telltale sign that a person is lying. Write the headings in your notepads and make notes for each one. Be prepared to discuss in class.

Discussion questions:
1. Do you think this video is helpful for detecting lies? Or is it rubbish?
2. Are there other reasons why a person might perform the actions stated in the video as indicators of lying (i.e. personality, cultural differences, etc.)?
3. Do you think the actors in the video do a good job? What is the "lie" in question here?
Feel free to post comments!
4. Use the techniques you have just learned to determine if James Cameron is lying about how proud he is of his ex in the previous blog entry.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think that the video can be useful and the actors do it pretty well. The lie in the video is that the man who is stading next to the fridge has taken the food of the other guy.

    I've seen again the James Cameron video and call me naive if you want, but I don't see that he performs any of the steps mentioned in the video. He doesn't touch his face, he doesn't make a lot of gestures, he uses the pronoun "she".... the only thing is that he makes half a smile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Diana, you are very bad thinking David!Why can't he be proud of her ex-wife?I mean, not every broken marriage have to hate each other, you can broke up in peace if you are mature enough!
    Related with this video up here I think that all the techniques said are true but you have to be all attention to catch them. For me, the actors are not as good as they are for Diana,hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments.
    This is exactly the type of debate I like to see going on - good practice for your English. By the way, I was just playing "devil's advocate" - of course I agree that you can get along with your ex...sometimes.

    ReplyDelete