Saturday, November 28, 2009

Polar Bear Alert!

Hello there, student-bloggers! Regretfully, I had to miss our session yesterday (doctor's orders), which was a shame, as I was looking forward to our discussion on the "Doomsday Vault" on the island of Svalbard in Norway. Incidentally, this frigid island is the northernmost (good proficiency word) inhabited piece of land on Earth. As you may or may not know, my mother is Norwegian, and my first cousin, Sigbjorn (most Norwegians have unpronounceable names) did his military service on this austere outpost in the middle of the Arctic Sea. He told me that on occasion alarms would sound, which didn't mean they were under attack (well, sort-of), but rather that there was a polar bear roaming around the premises and they were to remain indoors until the problem could be sorted out. What he didn't tell me is how this problem was sorted out. How would you deal with a polar bear walking down your street?
Would you consider living in Svalbard for a couple of years if you were offered a good job? Why or why not? Post your answers in a comment.

And here's a corny joke for you:
What did the polar bear eat after the dentist fixed his tooth? If you know, let us know in a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Well... I would accept almost any international job offer, as long it is sustancially "convincent" if you now what I mean. Anyway, I think living in a place like that is something that do not fit everybody. I think you should definitely be some kind of lonely guy since you will not be able to stroll around and have a bear in a terrace. It is more for the kind of person that enjoys a good book, good music and a fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Daniel, personally I wouldn't take that job, I like quiet places but I need to have a big city near where I live.

    About the question that how would I deal with a polar bear... I don't have any idea... so that's another reason for what I wouldn't go there hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... I have just detected the my mind has cheated me. I wanted to say "beer" instead of "bear". It is funny to have a bear in a terrace but it was not the point.

    ReplyDelete