Monday, November 23, 2009

The not-so-touristy carnival



I'd like to thank Daniel (obrigado!) for his colourful and and informative presentation on Brazil, the country where he grew up (and where his football allegiances still lie - does anyone recognize the coat-of-arms?)
We now know, thanks to Daniel, that the carnival in Rio is characterized by a large presence of tourists and skimpily dressed celebrities, whereas the one in Olinda is much more traditional an uncontaminated by tourist hype. Above we have a picture of a frevo dancer, delighting onlookers in Olinda with his sprightly footwork.
Did you enjoy Daniel's presentation as much as I did? Feel free to post a comment.

1 comment:

  1. (I wrote yesterday here and my comment has disappeared!!, or at least I don't see it!! I'll write it again just in case)

    I enjoyed also Daniel's presentation and I learned a lot of things about Brazil that I didn't know.

    I have been thinking about making a presentation about an archaeological park where I worked last year. There, there are roman remains and it has the biggest collection of roman mosaics in Spain and actually I made a guided visit in English. What do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete